Thursday, July 8, 2010

San Onofre State Beach ride

I planned Tuesday evenings ride to be a stretch ride from Sunday's tougher than usual hilly ride and was really feeling it less than five miles in to my ride. I had programmed my Garmin to ride with a virtual rider and used an actual ride from someone elses device that I uploaded to mine. Pretty cool feature! I started off with the intention of changing the whole ride if neccessary and was to the edge of pain where I told myself that the ride was going to have to be a short one. Once I got to the end of the bike trail at Oceanside harbor, I told myself that this was the point where I would have to make the decision to keep on riding with my virtual rider or do a quick turnaround and cut it to about a 25 mile ride. At this point the competitive nature in me got the best of me and I was competing against; guess who, the virtual rider. Geeez! It was like the the two voices on my shoulders duking it out sway my opinion. I was gassed already but opted to ride through Camp Pendleton and to the State Park just north of there and back. The ride was a lot longer than I should have gone out for, but it really was quite fun and invigorating. There are a few points on Camp Pendleton that really make me feel good about what I do on my bike. Just the most beautiful spots anyone could hope for on a ride or run. If you are familiar with the route, the spot where the trail goes through the bridge heading north of Basilone Road. Once you ride out of the bridge the view to the coast is the best 180 degree view of the ocean in San Diego county. Another area is coming back through CP over wide open plains and the ocean view near "Range 127". I will have to stop and just take pictures of these areas for the next ride and post.
Nearing the end of the ride and at about mile 47 a few guys had been riding up from behind me pretty quick in a tight pack and by the time they caught me, they were riding in a group of four. I quickly took refuge in their draft. I went from cruising speeds of about 17.5 to about 23mph, which was quite fun and relaxing in the draft until it was my turn to catch the next competitive rider/s ahead of us. I was winded by the time we hit the end of San Luis Rey trail, but well worth the exhaustion. Next planed ride will be Saturday morning. I'll probalby have over 160 miles logged in this week. That makes me feel good about my training. Oh the hills coming back home seem to be getting a little easier too. I'll have to go through and compare rides and speeds, but they really seem to be getting easier.

Copy of my ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39699422

No comments: