Monday, September 6, 2010

Ouch! Stung by another bee




Well, I was stung by another bee on the San Luis Rey bike path yesterday and have had a pretty bad reaction to the venom. The bee went in to my mouth and while I was riding and trying to spit it out, it got stuck to the side of my mouth and did its natural dirty deed. This was only about 10 miles in to my ride and right before I met up with the group that I have been riding with on Sundays. It started swelling pretty fast once I got the stinger out. I couldn't quite use the credit card technique to my advantage as I couldn't exactly see where it stung me on my lip. I really felt quite good on the ride physically in my legs and lungs, so I continued but it just got progressively worse and we were on Camp Pendleton for most of the ride. I wasn't prepared as I should have been with a bee kit to limit the amount of eventual pain and swelling that seems to be more and more likely with each new bee sting. I will be next time for sure. For now; ice, benadryl and rest as the benadryl is making me sleepy. Good thing it is Labor Day. We are supposed to rest on Labor Day, right??
I seemed to have earned the name Bubba from Forrest Gump with the ride group because of how the swelling looked on my face and was making my voice slur. I have popcorn shrimp, shrimp shrimp,....
Great ride otherwise.
I would still encourage as many experienced and new riders in the area to use as much of the trail as possible instead of using streets full of motorists that don't know how to drive. I'll take a bee sting a reduce the chances of getting swiped by a truck any day. Thanks to those who have given so generously to my Bike to finish MS cause. We still have a long way to go and less than 40 days to go. Won't you consider helping me reach my goal? http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?px=2633597&pg=personal&fr_id=14192

No comments: