Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ride 9/12/2009

I had some growing pains with the new Garmin unit as it only recorded about half of my ride on three separate links, so I ended up deleting them all and used my failsafe computer that can really only give me miles and average speed as far as tools that I can use for training. The ride was 73 miles and I did the ride that I mentioned from yesterdays post and it was a very nice ride through Carmel Mountain, Rancho Santa Fe and Carlsbad on the way back before I reached the coast. Very hilly and found some fun groups to ride with.

The only thing that will keep me from finishing the 150 mile MS ride is my competitive nature. Riding at a nice comfortable pace I was passed by a peloton and quickly decided that it wasn't going to work that way. I caught up to the group and worked my way up to the front and found myself about 100 yards in front of all of them, which you never want to do. By the time I made it to Carlsbad only about two other riders were in range of catching the rabbit(me) and it would take a traffic light or my old body parts giving out on me and it was my right knee that started giving me troubles by the time I made it to the coast. I hobbled back home with about 15-17 miles remaining. Not fun! I really have to control these urges to compete and remember that if I can't pedal, I wont make it on these longer rides. Less than one month away.
I'm riding with a larger group next Saturday or Sunday from Huntington Beach to Solana Beach just to get a feel for the northern route of the MS ride. Hopefully I didn't do any long term damage to the old knee. I should have a grasp of the damage by the morning...

To donate to finish MS: http://www.biketofinishms.com/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=304333&supid=259559506

No comments: