Thursday, September 15, 2011

Can I lose weight by riding my bike? NO!


Wow!  Has it been that long since I took the time to update my riding??? 
Well; I'm extremely happy to say that the calorie management app "myfitnesspal" has worked even better than I intended.  I have added this new badge for this specific blog so that others can take advantage of what I consider the best free app EVER!  If this worked for me, it will work for anyone.  I was at the end of my rope and was seriously considering what would have been expensive medical procedures.   Funny though I don't seem thinner until I try and put a pair of old shorts on and have them fall right off my ass unless I tighten with a new belt that I had to purchase with a few interim pairs of shorts that will work until I reach my goal.  I have revised my goal to 190 lbs from 245lbs by the end of the year, which at this rate will not be a problem, but according to body mass index calculators for my height, I should be at or below 190 to be considered "normal" weight.  Hard to believe I was "obese" according to the calculators and have about 16 more lbs. to go to make this weight goal.   myfitnesspal.com has or will add years to my life and I feel better than I have in a LONG time because of it.  I would recommend to anyone who NEEDS to lose weight.  If you are reading this, you probably do if you're like most Americans.  I'm not saying that to belittle you or to insult you.  Americans just eat too much and still don't understand why they are so huge.   Listen; Give it 6 weeks with honest motives/actions and if you haven't lost at least 5% of your body weight, you can call me a liar.  I have lost 10 lbs. every month since May.  This is not a diet.  This is a cultural awakening and not rocket science.  It is and will be a lifestyle change for me and I'm OK with that.  I do miss stuffing my face with 3-4000 calories a day but not unlike any other new habit you get used to it and it becomes easier over time. 
I also have to say and was predicting that if I lost the weight my bike skills would improve.  Oh boy, did they ever!  I'm a hill climbing fool now and can ride with riders that are much lighter and younger than I am.  Even at my current weight of 206lbs.  Dropping nearly 40lbs. has done wonders for my hill climbing and endurance.  I'm riding less than I was in previous years but eating much smarter and managing my calorie intake, even on ride days.  I don't cut out the things I have always loved to eat.  That's the beauty of this management plan.  I just eat less of it.   It's simple really.  You can ride hundreds of miles a week but if you don't control how many (calories) go in to your pie hole, you will never lose weight.  Trust me!  
 
MyFitnessPal - Free'>http://www.myfitnesspal.com">Free Weight Loss Tools



MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

1 comment:

janetpratt said...

I ride hundreds of miles a week and control my calorie intake with MFP. Biked 452 miles in August and didn't lose a single pound. I am on the plateau from HELL!