Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bike safety in mind

I discovered a newly opened section of the San Luis Rey bike/pedestrian path yesterday. My ride yesterday can be seen by clicking on the title of this entry. The path starts at the intersection near the community side of Highway 76 and North Santa Fe Avenue and goes all the way to the beach community of Oceanside.
Once on the path, there is a section that is very short section that is very lightly traveled by cars. (I didn't see one) Other than that, the path is unobstructed by curbs, autos and street crossings of any kind for more than 9 miles each way. I was on the bike path for nearly 2/3 of the entire ride. From all the regular riding that I have done through this area, I have found the least traveled roads where it makes the ride as safe as it can possibly be. This extension of bike path eliminates the worst intersections for bicyclists who ride the path regularly at College Blvd. and Highway 76. Safety is always a concern when doing anything on two wheels and mixing it up with others who share the roads with you. Eliminating all risk, as a cyclist, is not possible but minimizing it is. The city of Oceanside has gone a long way in doing so for me as a cyclist who travels this route frequently. The newly created section is by far, the most scenic, least travel and fun part of the path. It won't be a well kept secret for long. My next planned ride is scheduled for Thursday evening. I've included a nice detailed link describing the San Luis Rey bike path for anyone ready to walk or ride it. Let me know when your ready for a nice long weekend ride...

No comments: